Sheffield Wednesday bring in keeper Maynard-Brewer
Transfers

Sheffield Wednesday bring in keeper Maynard-Brewer

By Staff Writer — 31 July 2026

Maynard-Brewer made 12 appearances for Dundee United last season after joining in January

Sheffield Wednesday have signed goalkeeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer on a one-year deal.

The 27-year-old was a free agent after leaving Dundee United earlier this summer.

He started his career with Charlton and made 70 league appearances for the Addicks before joining the Scottish Premiership side on a short-term deal in January.

“We believe he will be a great addition to our squad and add important competition to our goalkeeping ranks as we prepare for the challenges ahead,” sporting director Simon Wilson told the club website.

Maynard-Brewer is the second goalkeeper to join the Owls in as many days after Connal Trueman signed on Thursday.

Defender Stones joins Inter Milan on free transfer
Transfers

Defender Stones joins Inter Milan on free transfer

By Staff Writer — 30 July 2026

John Stones made his debut for England in 2014

England defender John Stones has joined Italian champions Inter Milan on a free transfer and signed a two-year contract.

The 32-year-old left Manchester City when his deal expired at the end of June after 10 successful years at the Premier League club.

Stones said he had “lived all my dreams out” after helping City win six Premier League titles, the Champions League, two FA Cups, five League Cups, three Community Shields, the Club World Cup and the Uefa Super Cup.

Since he became a free agent, the centre-back has attracted interest from clubs across Europe, including Chelsea and Juventus.

Inter Milan were crowned Serie A champions for the 21st time last season and will start their title defence against newly promoted Monza on Saturday, 22 August.

Former Barnsley defender Stones made 295 appearances for City, scoring 19 goals, after joining from Everton for £47.5m in 2016.

He has won 93 caps and was part of the England squad who finished third at this summer’s World Cup, starting the quarter-final victory against Norway and 2-1 semi-final defeat by Argentina.

Four pointers to most open Premier League title race in years
Premier League

Four pointers to most open Premier League title race in years

By Staff Writer — 30 July 2026

Is the Premier League due a wide open title race?

Three of the traditional “big six” have new managers, the defending champions have a key injury and Tottenham and Chelsea are breaking transfer records.

After years of Manchester City dominance followed by Liverpool and Arsenal winning titles by at least seven points, the Premier League is due a wide open, unpredictable, multi-club title race.

Here are four reasons why 2026-27 could be that season.

How do you replace the irreplaceable?

Manchester City are often title favourites having won six of the past nine Premier League trophies, but they start this new season without their greatest ever manager, Pep Guardiola.

The 55-year-old led City to 17 major trophies in 10 years, but left at the end of last season and has since been replaced by his former assistant Enzo Maresca.

Maresca has been out of work since stepping down as Chelsea boss in January.

The Blues also have a new gaffer. They replaced Maresca with Liam Rosenior in January but he was let go before the end of the season and now former Liverpool player Xabi Alonso is at the helm.

Alonso won the Bundesliga with an invincible Bayer Leverkusen team two years ago but last term had a difficult spell in charge of Real Madrid.

Many thought he would replace 2024-25 title-winner Arne Slot at Liverpool but the Reds instead have appointed Andoni Iraola, who finished sixth with Bournemouth last season.

That’s three huge clubs with three new managers.

What’s more, Manchester United’s Michael Carrick and Tottenham’s Roberto de Zerbi only took charge part way through last season.

So five of the traditional big six will start to the new campaign with a different manager to the one they had at the start of last season.

Only Mikel Arteta of Arsenal, appointed in 2019, remains.

As defending champions and with an experienced manager, Arsenal are favourites for the Premier League title.

But a lengthy injury to a key starter could affect their title chances.

The club have said defender William Saliba is set to miss an “extended period” after suffering a back injury while at the World Cup with France.

Saliba, 25, made 50 appearances in all competitions for Arsenal last season and his formidable partnership with team-mate Gabriel was a big factor in them conceding fewer goals than anyone else in the division.

Arsenal have a tricky start to the season, facing Aston Villa and Chelsea in two of their first three matches.

Since Saliba’s debut in 2022, Arsenal have won 68.7% of their Premier League matches when he has been in the team (131 games).

When he has been sidelined, that win percentage drops to 47.6% (21 games).

Last season, Manchester United played just 40 matches in all competitions, their fewest in a single campaign since 1914-15, and finished third.

Chelsea played 59 matches in all competitions and finished 10th.

Tottenham played 52 matches in all competitions and avoided relegation on the final day, finishing 17th.

Playing more matches does not always correlate with a lower league finish. Arsenal, for instance, won the Premier League title last season while reaching both the Champions League and Carabao Cup finals.

But fewer matches in other competitions does mean a team can rotate less, often have a full week of preparation between games and be less susceptible to injuries.

Spurs had a staggering 27 different players sidelined at some point last season.

Next season Chelsea and Tottenham are not playing European football whereas Manchester United and eight other Premier League clubs are.

United have responded by targeting midfielders in the transfer market, having bought Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans from Chelsea and Aston Villa respectfully.

But will those two additions be enough to cover the club’s increased workload?

Chelsea and Tottenham both underperformed last season, but the pair could pick up this term after going big in the transfer window.

Chelsea made England midfielder Morgan Rogers the most expensive British player in history this month by signing him from Aston Villa for a fee of £117m.

They’ve also spent £47m on full-back Marco Palestra from Atalanta and are close to deals for Danny Welbeck, Jordan Henderson and Maxence Lacroix.

Tottenham have almost matched Chelsea’s spending, parting with a club record £237m this summer.

In July, Spurs broke their transfer record twice in two days, first signing midfielder Mateus Fernandes from West Ham for £85m before bringing in Sandro Tonali from Newcastle for £100m.

They’ve also picked up Jan Paul van Hecke, for £52m from Brighton, Marcos Senesi, Andrew Robertson and Martin Dubravka.

With so many new signings and different managers, who knows what to expect?

Manager Howe to leave Newcastle with immediate effect
Premier League

Manager Howe to leave Newcastle with immediate effect

By Staff Writer — 30 July 2026

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is set to leave the club with immediate effect, sources have told BBC Sport.

Howe came under pressure last season as Newcastle finished 12th in the Premier League after losing 17 of their 38 games.

The 48-year-old’s final match in charge was a 4-1 defeat by Bristol City in a pre-season friendly on Wednesday.

Matthias Jaissle, manager of Saudi Pro League side Al-Ahli, is expected to be appointed as Howe’s successor.

Howe joined Newcastle in November 2021, a month after the Saudi Public Investment Fund bought the club.

Well-placed sources have indicated a measure of surprise from Howe at the club’s transfer business so far this summer, though he was aware of the necessity for the club to sell players.

Earlier this year, Howe decided to remain at St James’ Park regardless of the inevitably of sales, but his perspective changed over the summer.

In March, Newcastle chief executive David Hopkinson said the club were “not having those conversations” about a change of manager “at the moment”.

Newcastle spent in the region of £240m on new players 12 months ago, but Howe was left frustrated by the departure of striker Alexander Isak to Liverpool.

In January, he described losing Isak as “ever-challenging”, and in several media conferences stressed the need for reinforcements.

Howe has lost two key players this summer - Sandro Tonali to Tottenham and Anthony Gordon to Barcelona, while Arsenal are chasing captain Bruno Guimaraes.

Howe replaced Steve Bruce as manager and ended Newcastle’s 70-year wait for a major domestic trophy by winning the 2025 Carabao Cup.

He led the Magpies to Champions League qualification in 2023 and 2025.

Last season, Newcastle reached the last-16 of the Champions League before losing 8-3 on aggregate to Barcelona.

Their EFL Cup defence ended in the semi-finals, but their league performance was severely underwhelming after finishing fifth in 2024-25.

Newcastle won 84 of their 179 Premier League games under Howe, drawing 38 and losing 57.

He oversaw more Premier League wins than any other Newcastle manager. His Premier League win percentage of 46.9% at the club is bettered only by Kevin Keegan.

Charlotte Robson, True Faith: Newcastle United Podcast: The timing, for me, is the thing that is difficult to understand. We could have done this in May, at the end of the season, when a lot of high-calibre managers were looking for new clubs. It was clear, at that point, that Eddie Howe needed a break. One of the things we have loved about him as a manager is how much he clearly cares about the team and the club and the city. Our poor performances in the latter part of the season were taking a visible toll on him. Perhaps it would have been a better idea for this amicable separation to have happened at that point?

Ben: Eddie Howe gave Newcastle its spark back - hauling the club out of the relegation scrap, delivering that unforgettable Champions League return, rebuilding players who looked finished, and serving up some of the most fearless football St James’ Park has seen in years. His time was full of graft, pride and proper memories, and whatever comes next, he’s earned every bit of respect in Newcastle. Local hero.

Roger: This is a total disaster. For years, Eddie Howe has been the cool headed master tactician and inspiration of the club’s success. He will be difficult to replace. Right now Newcastle look like a serious relegation prospect.

Hazel: Heartbroken season-ticket holder! Eddie Howe performed nothing short of miracles turning the team around and going on to win the cup. Despite the mess at the end of last season, management changes, PSR rules and injuries, he did a reasonable job to hold things together. I thought the new recruits were positive given his ability to develop players. Positive anticipation of coming season has just evaporated. Same old Newcastle.

Tom: If there was ever a worst possible time to lose a manager, it’s now: middle of pre-season. This I think will set us back years. Eddie got Newcastle and the city. He had an awful season last year but I think he earned the benefit of the doubt. He’s lost two, maybe about to be three, of his best players. And although we recruited with young talent, we have not recruited anyone with any proven Premier League experience. I hope I am wrong but this could be our downfall. Thank you Eddie for giving us some of the best memories.

Simon: I understand Newcastle fans’ frustrations with last season, but the ‘Eddie Howe out’ crew need to be careful what they’ve wished for. Only time will now tell and I hope for the sake of the club that we move forward positively. Eddie has to leave with everyone’s best wishes for what he has brought to the club.

Birmingham & Preston - Barcelona's unlikely UK camp
La Liga

Birmingham & Preston - Barcelona's unlikely UK camp

By Staff Writer — 29 July 2026

Hansi Flick led Barcelona to the Spanish title by eight points last season

As Premier League clubs jet off to the Far East and the United States, Barcelona have made the Midlands their home.

Manager Hansi Flick has brought his La Liga champions to St George’s Park in Staffordshire for a training camp this week as their pre-season preparations continue.

Barca’s eight World Cup winners - including Lamine Yamal - remain on a break after their triumph with Spain this month, but new signing Karim Adeyemi is included after his summer move from Borussia Dortmund.

In addition to Lamine Yamal, his Spain team-mates Ferran Torres, Joan Garcia, Eric Garcia, Pau Cubarsi, Gavi, Dani Olmo, Pedri and Lamine Yamal are also on a post-World Cup break.

Two friendlies against Championship sides await - against Birmingham at St Andrew’s on Friday, and against Preston behind closed doors at St George’s Park on Monday - with the knock-on effects of the World Cup playing a part in the organising of those matches.

Lionel Messi trained at St George’s Park during Barcelona’s last visit 12 years ago

Barcelona ruled out a long-haul tour to the United States because of the World Cup schedule.

As well as missing their Spain stars, they are without another six senior internationals, including England’s Anthony Gordon following his £80m move from Newcastle.

Brazil’s Raphinha, France’s Jules Kounde and Uruguay’s Ronald Araujo are absent too.

Having opted out of a transatlantic tour, Barca had spent a large part of the year looking at their options, trying to work around the fact that their players return at different times because of the World Cup.

Birmingham had been speaking to the club for a number of months as they looked to boost their own profile.

The Blues, who missed out on the Championship play-offs last season, have promotion ambitions under chairman Tom Wagner and minority owner and seven-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady.

Barca decided to come to the UK as they wanted a good standard of opposition as part of their pre-season programme, having previously spent time at St George’s Park in 2014 - before they won the Treble of La Liga, Copa del Rey and the Champions League - and then in 2016.

Roma have trained there in the past, while Nantes, Fiorentina and Rangers used the facility last summer.

Marc-Andre ter Stegen spent the second half of last season on loan at Girona, though only played twice before suffering a hamstring injury

The 30-man squad flew to Birmingham on Monday before training early evening in the Midlands, with Fermín Lopez continuing his recovery from injury.

The midfielder missed out on Spain’s World Cup success after breaking his foot against Real Betis in May.

Flick’s squad is a mix of senior players, along with others from Barcelona B and the under-19s, including forward Orian Goren who only turned 17 in March.

Netherlands midfielder Frenkie de Jong has travelled despite a knee injury which was expected to keep him out for months.

The 29-year-old damaged the medial collateral ligament in his right knee at the World Cup.

Another surprise inclusion is Marc-Andre ter Stegen, who has been expected to move to Ajax on loan. No deal has been struck so the German goalkeeper has travelled to England and could face Birmingham in Friday’s game.

Barca had a double session on Tuesday and are training on the pitch reserved for the England senior team.

After their trip to St Andrew’s, Barca will take on Preston behind closed doors at St George’s Park next Monday.

Paul Heckingbottom’s side started their pre-season with a 4-1 win against Northern Premier League Premier Division side Bamber Bridge at the start of the month.

Barca also travel to Italy for two 45-minute matches against Nottingham Forest and Udinese in the Friuli Venezia Giulia tournament on 8 August.

Barcelona squad: Ter Stegen, Fort, Balde, Araujo, Cortes, Guille Fernandez, Toni Fernandez, Farinas, Abdelkarim, Tommy, Xavi Espart, Yaakobishvili, Adeyemi, Christensen, Fermin, M Casado, Gerard Martin, Roony, Tunkara, Torrents, Bernal, Gonzalez, Kluivert, Szczesny, Goren, Gistau, Diarra, Pesquer, Rodriguez, De Jong.