Hull City sign Targett on free transfer
Transfers

Hull City sign Targett on free transfer

By Staff Writer — 23 July 2026

Hull City have signed Matt Targett on a two-year deal, with a club option of a further year, after the defender left Newcastle at the end of his contract.

The 30-year-old left-back said “it was a no-brainer” to join the Tigers, but he expects a “massive challenge” on their return to the top flight.

“I’m at an age now where I feel like I am an experienced head to pass on previous experience of the Premier League to players who have not been in this situation. I’m hoping I’ll be a huge help in the dressing room,” said Targett.

Targett has represented Southampton, Aston Villa and Newcastle United in the Premier League, but spent last season on loan in the Championship with Middlesbrough.

“It was during the England game on Saturday night that my agent rang me and said Hull City were interested,” added Targett.

“The next minute, I was on a phone call with the owner. He is very invested in the football club and speaks very passionately, so it didn’t take much convincing to join.

“It’s going to be a massive challenge, but we can take huge confidence from what the likes of Sunderland and Leeds did last season.

Targett played 46 times for Middlesbrough last season, scoring four goals and starting the play-off final against Hull City.

Modric, 40, signs new AC Milan deal
Champions League

Modric, 40, signs new AC Milan deal

By Staff Writer — 23 July 2026

Luka Modric is one of the most decorated active players in world football

AC Milan midfielder Luka Modric - who turns 41 in September - has signed a one-year contract extension.

The Croatian joined Milan last summer on a one-year deal with an option to extend after leaving Real Madrid.

After 13 years at the Bernabeu, Modric scored two goals in 37 appearances for Milan in a season when they finished fifth in Serie A and only reached the last-16 stage of the Coppa Italia.

“I am thrilled to stay at AC Milan, where you made me feel welcomed and loved from the very first day,” Modric said of his new deal.

“After a season below our expectations, the desire to bounce back is immense. A new season and a new challenge await us - a project I believe in and that motivates me.

“I’m ready to continue to give everything again for this shirt and I’m so proud to keep wearing these colours. Can’t wait to return to San Siro and feel your roar.”

Modric has just played in his fifth World Cup, in which Croatia were knocked out in the last 32 by Portugal.

Since Modric became national team captain in 2016, Croatia had previously been runners-up and finished third in the World Cup.

The 2018 Ballon d’Or winner won six Champions League titles and four La Liga titles at Real. Previously, he made 160 appearances for Tottenham Hotspur over four years in north London.

In Milan this season, he will play under former Manchester United head coach Ruben Amorim, who replaced the sacked Massimiliano Allegri in June.

In a statement, Milan said: “A key figure in the Rossoneri midfield since his arrival, Luka has brought his experience and quality to the service of the team, both on and off the pitch, with humility and great passion.

“One of the finest and most iconic players in world football, the Croatian will continue his journey in the Rossoneri shirt with the ambition to reach new, important milestones.”

Derby sign midfielder Bilbija after Paderborn exit
Champions League

Derby sign midfielder Bilbija after Paderborn exit

By Staff Writer — 22 July 2026

Derby County have signed Filip Bilbija on a three-year deal after the attacking midfielder left Paderborn following their promotion to the German Bundesliga.

The 26-year-old played a crucial role in returning Paderborn to the top flight, scoring the equaliser in the second leg of their play-off decider against Wolfsburg which was eventually won in extra time.

Bilbija scored 17 goals across all competitions last season, in what was the most prolific showing on his career to date after netting nine goals in each of his previous two campaigns.

The German forward, who came through at Ingolstadt and spent a season with Hamburg SV before joining Paderborn in the summer of 2023, had been linked with a move to Werder Bremen when his contract was running down last season.

Bilbija has already joined up with his new Rams team-mates on their pre-season camp in Austria.

Why Chelsea have signed so many Man City academy graduates
Premier League

Why Chelsea have signed so many Man City academy graduates

By Staff Writer — 22 July 2026

Chelsea not only lost to Manchester City in the 2020 FA Youth Cup final, they also had a glimpse of their own future within the opposition ranks.

So much so that Chelsea’s first-team squad in the new season could contain twice as many players who graduated from City’s academy as have come through their own system.

The latest addition is club record £117m signing Morgan Rogers, who scored against the Blues’ Under-18s that night six years ago.

Fellow City academy graduate Cole Palmer was also on target in City’s 3-2 victory at St George’s Park, while Liam Delap led the line.

In addition, new Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso’s squad features Romeo Lavia, Jamie Gittens and Tosin Adarabioyo, all of whom also came through City’s youth system.

Together with Rogers, Palmer and Delap, the six players account for almost £300m in transfer fees paid by Chelsea since 2023.

By contrast, Alonso is only likely to have three permanent members of his senior squad who came through Chelsea’s Cobham academy: Levi Colwill, who played in that defeat, captain Reece James and defender Josh Acheampong.

Trevoh Chalobah also remains a Chelsea player but is in advanced talks over a move to Serie A side Como.

There are several reasons for Chelsea’s interest in players developed from City, but one is the success of Palmer, who moved between the clubs in 2023 for £40m plus £2.5m in add-ons and has become one of the Premier League’s standout performers.

One former insider told BBC Sport that anyone who comes from City “knows what good looks like”. Another factor is Joe Shields, who worked in City’s academy recruitment department and is now involved in both youth and senior recruitment at Stamford Bridge. Other clubs also have ex-Manchester City employees, including Manchester United with senior leaders Omar Berrada and Jason Wilcox.

Clubs, meanwhile, are incentivised to sell academy-developed players because the fees can be recorded as pure profit for accounting purposes under Premier League and Uefa spending rules. Chelsea’s sale of Tyrique George to Everton this summer is one example.

Former City manager Pep Guardiola previously acknowledged the difficulty of giving academy graduates opportunities in a team that consistently compete for major honours.

While players like Rogers were deemed not ready for first-team football, others, including Palmer and Jadon Sancho, were offered contracts and squad roles but chose to continue their development elsewhere.

At Chelsea, they have needed to sell academy players under both the Roman Abramovich ownership and now Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital since 2022 to balance the substantial spending on new signings.

Chelsea have instinctively looked to City’s ranks to see how they might offer a suitable home for young talent. They employ a number of former City staff members, including first-team coach Calum McFarlane and recently promoted academy director Glenn van der Kraan.

There was also a brief spell for former City executive Tom Glick as Chelsea’s president of business, while former Chelsea head coach Enzo Maresca and several members of his coaching staff previously worked at the Etihad. Maresca has since returned to City.

There are further links between City’s academy and Chelsea. James McAtee and CJ Egan-Riley, both of whom played in the 2020 FA Youth Cup final, were previously targeted by Strasbourg, the French club owned by Chelsea’s parent company, BlueCo.

Chelsea also held an interest in former City academy player Michael Olise before his move to Bayern Munich and previously explored a deal for defender Nico O’Reilly.

Chelsea ended last season without a trophy and finished 10th in the Premier League, but their academy teams won league and cup titles.

It highlights the quality of the talent coming through under the leadership of Shields and Van der Kraan, with pathways director Jack Francis providing continuity as he enters his 16th year at the club.

The Cobham academy was previously led by Neil Bath and Jim Fraser, who built a system capable of winning five consecutive FA Youth Cups, including three wins in a row against City, to match the long-standing record set by Manchester United’s ‘Busby Babes’ in the 1950s.

Chelsea also won the Uefa Youth League in 2015 and 2016 and remain the only English club to have won the competition.

However, Chelsea were handed a transfer ban in 2019 over breaches relating to youth recruitment and are currently serving restrictions on registering academy players following historical offences dating back to the Abramovich era.

That first transfer ban helped create opportunities for Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount, Fikayo Tomori, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Andreas Christensen and Reece James to establish themselves in the first team under Frank Lampard.

Those were heady days for Chelsea’s academy, but City were rapidly expanding under their Abu Dhabi ownership and investing heavily in youth development, an area exempt from financial spending restrictions.

Such was the dominance of the two academies that they had an informal agreement not to sign players from one another, helping to avoid inflated wages and transfer fees at youth level. That arrangement has since ended.

Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal also began a new wave of investment in their academies after Brexit made it impossible to sign overseas players under the age of 18.

Notably, Liverpool signed now-England youth international Rio Ngumoha from Chelsea in 2024, prompting restrictions on youth scouts from a number of rival clubs attending matches.

While Chelsea were under new ownership, Bath was developing a fresh strategy. However, after Fraser left the club following a disagreement with senior figures, Bath also departed and former City staff moved into senior academy positions.

That transformation has surprised many within academy football, where stories persist of fierce rivalries between the two clubs, heated confrontations behind the scenes and intense celebrations after victories at lower age-group levels. A genuine rivalry developed between the dominant academy systems of the north and south over the past decade.

Asked about the rivalry in 2025, Delap said: “We hated each other in games.”

He added: “But everyone’s man enough now that, off the pitch, we can be friends. I used to play against Levi [Colwill] every year. It was a great battle. There are too many matches to remember, but we [City] beat them in the Youth Cup final [in 2020].”

There have since been substantial changes in coaching methodology at Chelsea. Scores of new staff have arrived and those who have remained at the club have had to adapt.

Liverpool women’s manager Gareth Taylor spent nine years in City’s academy and recalls how former Barcelona coach Rodolfo Borrell helped to establish a Johan Cruyff and Guardiola-inspired coaching philosophy.

He described Delap as playing with a “real edge”, Rogers as “really good and really humble”, and Palmer as a player who “used to run rings around opponents” and would “never get nervous”.

Taylor said: “We designed a really clear playing style. From under-11s and under-12s all the way up to the under-23s, you could see really clear alignment in the way we played, our identity and our style.”

The City-modelled revolution has made an impact on both the senior and youth teams at Stamford Bridge.

Now Chelsea, with Alonso coming in, will hope the approach brings more rewards.

Bournemouth reject £64m bid from Chelsea for Scott
Premier League

Bournemouth reject £64m bid from Chelsea for Scott

By Staff Writer — 21 July 2026

Bournemouth have rejected a £64m bid from Chelsea for midfielder Alex Scott.

The Cherries made it clear to the Blues that any further approaches would not be welcomed and that they intend to keep hold of one of their star players.

However, it remains a difficult situation for the club as the England Under-21 international has rejected a new contract that has been on the table for at least two months.

Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham and Manchester City also expressed an interest in Scott earlier in the window.

BBC Sport reported in June that Arsenal had an approach for Scott turned down by Bournemouth.

The 22-year-old, who joined Bournemouth from Bristol City in 2023 for £25m, has two years left on his current deal.

Bournemouth have insisted publicly, directly to the player and to interested clubs that he will remain on the south coast, even on that current contract.

The south coast club are under no pressure to sell after qualifying for the Europa League and generating significant income through the sales last summer of Dean Huijsen, Milos Kerkez, Illia Zabarnyi and Dango Outtara.

They have taken a similar stance with highly rated forward Junior Kroupi, who is attracting interest from Arsenal and Tottenham.

Brazil international Rayan is also not expected to leave and has given no indication that he wants to, having only joined the club in January.

Scott and Kroupi are with the squad for new manager Marco Rose’s pre-season training camp in Austria, with Rayan due back at a later date having played for Brazil at the World Cup.

Scott was selected in his first England squad last November and was then called into Thomas Tuchel’s extended pre-World Cup training camp in Florida but is yet make an appearance at senior international level.

In a busy Premier League midfielder market this summer, Morgan Rogers has completed a £117m move from Aston Villa to Chelsea, while Nottingham Forest’s Elliot Anderson is set to join Manchester City for £116m.

Tottenham have spent £100m on Newcastle’s Sandro Tonali and £85m on West Ham’s Mateus Fernandes.

Scott joined Bristol City from Guernsey FC in 2020, going on to make 91 appearances for the Championship side in all competitions.

Having been named the division’s young player of the season in 2022-23, he joined Bournemouth, where he has made 89 appearances and scored six goals.